Thursday 13 March 2014

Running For My Life

It’s been four weeks  since I started running for my life. I attended a 50th birthday in-house party of a senior friend and I could not stop wondering how she managed to look 30 at 50. Yes, she is an Italian and yes it might be genetic but I continued to think that it was not just that. She had learned how to live right, eat right and maintain a great shape. I have been putting off exercises for a long time, making excuses of tiredness and time, but that day I got cured of my procrastination by fire. To add to my fuel, the daily devotional booklet  I use had on that day, encouraged starting an exercise regimen. Call it a coincidence or what you like, it just worked for me and I got started. I waited this long before blogging about it just to make sure I have formed the habit and have committed myself to continuing.

I run round the park close to my house 3 times every morning (I can’t tell how many metres that is, I will have to find out). I run every morning, telling myself, ‘your life will be a lot better for it’. I might not see the benefits now, of course I can’t see my heart working better but I do feel it. My energy level is always higher during the day, my muscles more toned and my spirit motivated. It sounds like an exaggeration but ask any runner, and he’ll tell you.

I have been trying to wish away my post-pregnancy pouch, yes wish away because I know I wasn't doing enough to get rid of it, and I had always said (before my pregnancy) that I would not carry a pouch around because it would ruin my style (I love fitted clothes!) but I have been reluctant to put in the effort needed to get rid of it. But with this running habit and the abdominals that follow once I return home, I am looking forward to getting back to shape again. I've been told that because I did not  tie my stomach immediately after birth, I might not succeed in getting my body back again, but I am willing to try proving that wrong and that is what I am doing. I only do hope it works, but even if it doesn't flatten my tummy, I am glad to know I can make a decision and stick to it.

Many times we know the right thing to do but lack the motivation to do it, especially if it’s not connected to a pay check. Our daily habits, what we eat, drink, exercise or the lack of it will all determine how we age. I intend to age gracefully, to be strong for a long time to come, and if it is what I have to do, then I will keep running for my life!!


P.S :  I had a very big first pregnancy. I used to call it a pencil, it was that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment